Emily's trip from Baltimore, MD to Monterey, CA on a 98 Yamaha YZF600R

Monday, June 19, 2006

Day 3 - Charleston, WV

Last night I stopped in Warm Springs, VA to make camp. After scoping out the area for churches... I stopped at place the was posing as a steakhouse, really it was like a german fancy dinner place that also had steak. I was undaunted by the fanciness... but the owner (I think she was the owner, she had a german accent) seemed unconvinced that I know which forks to use. Nevertheless they had the best burger that I've had... I think they put some really good spices in the meat... or maybe garlic. Then next door I saw that there was a school with a big field! and a service lane running behind it. Little did I know that the service lane was actually a thru-road to get to the rest of the houses that I couldn't really see on the mountain, and before long I got a visit from the sherriff, who was very nice and told me that people wake up at around 6, and I should be getting going around then. After 8 hours sleep, I woke up at 6:30, and headed out.

Morning through Virginia mountains.

I met some local riders down at the market, where I picked up a breakfast sandwich. One of them had a CX500! and had ridden it to CA in 82. I told him I like that bike a lot (I learned how to ride on my dad's CX500) because it sits like a chair giving a comfy ride while still allowing for easy turning... ahhhh motorcycles.

The roads here are most excellent. It's too bad my legs are so sore from riding yesterday (notice I said legs not butt - yesterday felt like a trackday) They continued being excellent until I passed by a mill (which you could feel the heat from its furnace all the way from the road). A lot of trucks were going to the mill with gravel or something - not sure - and I squinted for a moment because of windshear and dust, and then bam! some kind of animal hit my leg. I was fine and pressed on... but now that I've stopped here, I've noticed that my right fairing is gone - but if you've seen the shape that fairing is in... you'd know that I'm not terribly worried about it, although I do feel like my bike is losing badly at a game of strip poker :D

Some light rain. A stop for some tree trimming which was neat to watch. A trip to the laundromat. A tire pressure check. And then after packing up from doing laundry, buckets of rain! I stopped for a bit, but decided to press for Charleston, WV (for cell coverage and wifi). The people here are really nice, and all have drawls in their accents - its a little hard for me to understand them sometimes.

Anyhows, time to skidaddle, and maybe find a pool at a gym. I hope to get to kentucky by the time I leave... but we'll see.

GeoTag - Taylor Books and Coffee - Charleston, VA
+38° 21' 1.12", -81° 38' 2.95"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home