Emily's trip from Baltimore, MD to Monterey, CA on a 98 Yamaha YZF600R

Monday, June 26, 2006

Chicago to T.C. Steele Park, Indiana

Yesterday, after pushing aside packing until the last minute, and managing to squeeze my clothes through the two machines that serve Sarah's entire apartment building (one dryer is rumored to not work sometimes), I hastily settled down for another world cup game instead of leaving. Man! If you lit a match in the stadium at the Portugal vs. Netherlands (Die Niederlande!) the entire thing would explode - the players started fighting - the ref was pulling cards out left and right - ah fussball - but after they avoided the overtime scenario - hey there's that phrase again - (portugal won), I left Chicago around 3pm. My backpacks fell off the bike just after the skyway, and again down near rennselaer. Ahhh but third time packing, and they would not fall off again. Good! I've retained my ultimate moto packing skills!

Then I set for Danville, Indiana, thinking that I would have dinner with Danny and his mom, that he was visiting, before heading down to Bloomington for the commune. Little did I know that all the times that Danny said that his mom lived in Danville, not terribly far from the commune... north...near Indiana.... that he meant Danville, IL and not Danville, IN. Ah well it is too laugh. heh...heh... But all was not lost since Danville, IN actually has some excellent roads. The sun set, and I found myself in some creepy fog. I ate at Arby's - and regretted it as per usual. Felt safer once I got to Bloomington, but not for long, as I had to go up the T.C. Steele dark, secluded road, that lead to the mile long gravel steep driveway (remembers mom saying "We can't go to the MIRA observatory on bikes, the last 2 miles is gravel!) Ah well, luckily the 10 miles at Shenandoah that was gravel vamped up my confidence for such roads. And I made it, white knuckles and all :)

Gravel roads and fallen trees on telephone lines - the great Indiana Wild

It's really good to see Liz and all the folks. Btw, hippy commune in this case = friends who are getting together at a really neat cabin area at a State Park for 4 days of frolicking... which can include - cough - many illicit activities. Although after being dehydrated (I've been on a caffeine binge unintentionally for the last week) and drinking 4 beers last night (I learnt at Hopkins that that is technically binge drinking for a girl, 5 for a guy) and doing some toking... I woke up this morning with a majorly upset stomach, and it occured to me, maybe I don't want to be a hippy anymore ;)

Should be exploring the roads a little this morning - the trees are beautiful - the weather is mild. All is well on the trip :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home