Emily's trip from Baltimore, MD to Monterey, CA on a 98 Yamaha YZF600R

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

day 29 - 32 - grand juntion, co to salt lake city, ut to reno, nv

I left Grand Junction after talking to the cute barista girl with neat tattoos. Soon after, I got pretty thirsty since it was already at least high 90's if not over 100. I decided to head north through the top of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and then Utah again. This was a really good choice, not only because of the beautiful roads and canyons, but also because it got cooler after a whiles. But not before I had to stop at a subway and drink 80 ounces of soda... feeling a little light headed... but getting to talk to a gang of bikers from Indiana - some from Bloomington : D

dehydration and pink floyd - priceless

It was a long haul, but I finally made it into Salt Lake area around 8pm, as the sun was setting, and as a racer with numbers 285 passed me, the only one faster than me on I-80... I wonder who it was. Turns out that the Red Bull rallye that Glen is on was coming to the Miller racetrack near Salt Lake the day after I left there. Oh well. I'll see him in Monterey - haha hopefully if I can find him.

I called Tom to let him know that I'm coming to his house - so that was much easier than trying to get hold of Hannah : )
I hung out yesterday with my cousin Zack, watching moto crashes, body builders, and other gory things on google video - i love google video - talk about a new turn of historical documentation even if its somewhat hard to tell the documentaries, from fictive videos - fun times nonetheless. Then I went with Hannah to the post office to send off my camping gear! Don't need it anymore yes! Then we picked up Hannah's little brother, Pete, who was coming in to help finish the tiling in the diningroom. We had dinner at Barbacoa - their other brother, Jesse's very favorite place in the world besides Chipotles. And then I took Zack for a ride in the evening - with LED's - and then I took Pete for a ride to visit their sister, Sarah. So I got as much visiting of family as I could expect from two days.

And then off! The next morning! I've been stopping frequently. I also paid homage to the Bonneville speedway. I must admit that I did adventure off to some salt flats and it made my engine sound funny- plus not very much traction in the soft salt. So I got off and continued to the official beginning of the speedway. Where I was met by a highway patrolwoman and another guy, who were keeping people from interrupting a commercial taping for Honda? I'm pretty certain its not as good as the other one liz showed me... you think they'd have spent their entire budget already.

Look even my sunglasses look faster on the flats - awesome!

When I hit the Pacific Time Zone, I let out a holler! Wooohooo! I can call mom now without doing math : )

After only one scare of police lights, and many miles travelled at a hundred miles per hour, I hit dark just 35 miles from Reno... I was peeling, and tired, and when I got into to town, my motorcycle was making funny chain noises. But my fun and slightly insane family was waiting for me. I got to stay up late with Christina and Stephanie... my two cousins - how did they grow up so fast? and joke around quietly as cute blondie troublemakers, Andrew and Daniel, tried to sleep. They just moved into their new house.

Anyhows, Tom and I looked at the chain... and it sounds intermittently bad... but if things are too complicated... then I think it will last me until Monterey... haha although no cruisin' round downtown monterey with my led's on. Ah well at least, i can probably ride dad's bikes around... we'll see what happens tomorrow! Can't wait to go home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home